Build Experience NOW
- Participate in Extracurricular/Volunteer Activities
- Seek Part-Time/Summer Jobs
- Take a Class or Conduct Research
Participate in Extracurricular/Volunteer Activities
- Join student organizations to meet people, get involved and develop leadership and other skills
- Seek opportunities for leadership within an organization (i.e. become an officer or take on a position that demands responsibility)
- Volunteer on campus or in the community. For volunteer opportunites, contact Marly Doty at firstname.lastname@example.org
Seek Part-time/Summer Jobs
- Your seemingly unrelated summer/part-time job will help you develop additional skills that can carry over into your professional future.
- Example: Being a food server will teach you patience, customer service, efficiency, time management and interpersonal skills
- Consider connecting your summer/part-time work with your academic and career goals
- Example: If you are interested in publishing, seek employment with a local media outlet
- Attend the People-to-People Career Fair
- Check out part-time and summer opportunities
- Nittany Lion Career Network
- Watch your email for new opportunities that become available
- Be proactive and ask employers about summer/part-time work opportunities (don’t wait for something to be advertised)
Take a Class or Conduct Research in a Field of Interest
- Select general education or elective courses that interest you
- Explore undergraduate research opportunities to work with faculty in a specific academic area or contact a faculty member that you currently have a relationship with to ask about any opportunities with them.
Seek Internships/Co-ops related to your Field
- Check with your academic advisor to find out if you will need to complete a for-credit internship.
- Complete an internship for experience (paid or unpaid). You can find companies that are seeking interns by going here.
- Consider applying to participate in the PAWS Program. Find more information here.