Build Experience NOW
|Participate in Extracurricular/Volunteer Activities|
|Seek Part-Time/Summer Jobs|
|Take a Class or Conduct Research|
|Seek Internships/Co-ops Related to Your Field|
Participate in Extracurricular/Volunteer Activities
- Join student organizations to meet people, get involved and develop leadership and other skills
- Seek opportunities for leadership within an organization (i.e. become an officer or take on a position that demands responsibility)
- Volunteer on campus or in the community. For volunteer opportunites, contact Marly Doty at email@example.com
- Your seeminly unrelated summer/part-time job will help you develop additional skills that can carry over into your professional future.
- Example: Being a food server will teach you patience, customer service, efficiency, time management and interpersonal skills
- Consider connecting your summer/part-time work with your academic and career goals
- Example: If you are interested in publishing, seek employment with a local media outlet
- Attend the People-to-People Career Fair
- Check out part-time and summer opportunities
- Nittany Lion Career Network
- Watch your email for new opportunities that become available
- Be proactive and ask employers about summer/part-time work opportunities (don’t wait for something to be advertised)
- Select general education or elective courses that interest you
- Explore undergraduate research opportunities to work with faculty in a specific academic area or contact a faculty member that you currently have a relationship with to ask about any opportunities with them.
- Check with your academic advisor to find out if you will need to complete a for credit internship.
- Complete an internship for experience (paid or unpaid). You can find companies that are seeking interns by going here.
- Consider applying to participate in the PAWS Program. Find more information here.
- Career Services for Students
- Career Services for Employers
- Career Services for Parents & Families