Since elevators must not be used during fire emergencies, persons unable to maneuver the stairs safely should go to the nearest stairwell and wait for rescue personnel who are specially trained in the safe, proper evacuation of persons with disabilities. In case of a fire, instructors should err on the side of caution, sound the fire alarm bell and call emergency response personnel at 911. Instructors should inform the emergency personnel of the location of the individual with the disability.
If a student with a disability or an individual with mobility difficulties is enrolled in a class, it is suggested that the instructor discuss with them their need for assistance when leaving the building during an emergency evacuation.
- Disability Resources
- Various Important Disability Links
- The Rehabilitation Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Policies & Procedures Exams
- Rights & Responsibilities
- Procedures for Requesting Adjustments
- Establishing Eligibility
- Verification Forms
- Parking Permits
- PSU Office for Student Disability Resources
- Discrimination & Grievance Procedures