Classes forming for new Health Care Leadership certificate
DuBois – Several courses that can be applied toward the new Health Care Leadership Certificate offered at Penn State DuBois are scheduled in DuBois and St. Marys this fall semester.
The Health Care Leadership certificate program is designed to meet the immediate educational needs of those currently working full or part-time in a health-care environment who want further information and professional development in health-care management. According to Diana Ricotta, Assistant Director for Continuing Education at Penn State DuBois, this certificate is particularly relevant to those trained in professional or technical health-care fields who have been promoted, or seek promotion, into a health-care managerial or supervisory position. It also provides a starting point for those who are considering a managerial career in the health-care field, but are not yet ready to commit to an associate or baccalaureate program, she said.
The courses in this certificate provide an understanding of the principles of management, financial analysis, health economics, legal aspects of business, and the development, organization, and evaluation of a health-care facility or department.
The 20-credit program consists of the following courses:
- ACCTG 211 Financial and Managerial Accounting for Decision Making (4 credits)
Introduction to the role of accounting numbers in the process of managing a business and in investor decision making.
- BA 243 Social, Legal, and Ethical Environment of Business (4 credits) Explores the ethical, political, social, legal and regulatory, technological, and demographic diversity environment of business.
- ECON 002 Introductory Microeconomic Analysis and Policy (3 credits) Methods of economic analysis and their use, economic aggregates, price determination, theory of the firm, and distribution; or ECON 004 Introductory Macroeconomic Analysis and Policy (3 credits) National income measurement; aggregate economic models; money and income; policy problems.
- MGMT 100 Survey of Management (3 credits) Introduction to organizational factors relevant to management processes including leadership, motivation, job design, technology, organizational design and environments, systems, change; -or-
MGMT 301 Basic Management Concepts (3 credits) Study of fundamental principles and processes applicable to the understanding of management. Prerequisites: ACCTG 204; ECON 002, 004; MATH 120 or 161; MSIS 200; COMPSC 101 or 203.
- HPA 101 Introduction to Health Services Organization (3 credits) Examination of social, political, economic, historic, and scientific factors in the development and organization of the medical care health services.
- HPA 332 Health Systems Management (3 credits) Introduction to and analysis of managerial roles and practices in health service organizations. Prerequisite: HPA 101.
In St. Marys, ACCTG 211 will be offered this fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 -6:40 p.m., and MGMT 100W is scheduled on Wednesdays from 6:45-9:20 p.m. In DuBois, HPA 101 is scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:50- 7:05 p.m., and MGMT 301 is planned for Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30-5:35 p.m.
For more information, or to register, contact Penn State DuBois Office of Continuing Education at (814)375-4772.